Skip to main content

Epilogue or Prologue???

There is a kid's book (actually part of series) called, God Gave Us You. I love it and Snowflake loves it. It is one of our favorite bedtime books. After we read it she will ask, "Mom, tell me how God gave me to you and my dad." So I will tell her our (7 year appropriate) love story. Lately it has morphed into, "Tell me why my Dad decided to go to jail. Tell me why he isn't part of our family. What did we do wrong?"

I've struggled for a long time figuring out what to tell her about her dad. She knows he is in jail, but that is about it. His crimes are not for a 7 year old to have to know about. Heck, I hate knowing what he did and all the people he hurt, his daughter being a major hurt party. His whole family. I still hurt at times. I've moved on in my heart. Our love story ended when he chose to do what he did, I just didn't know for a long time that I was living in our epilogue.

Every night when we pray, she asks for God to watch over her Dad, to help him want forgiveness and do good works in jail. This girl who hasn't seen her dad since she was 14 months old loves him. God designed us to love our parents. They are part of us. I encourage her to pray for her Dad.



I don't hate him. I don't love him the way I used to. I could never trust him again or live with him again. He is definitely part of my yesterdays. Yet, every day I see his eyes when I look at my Snowflake. I see his temper in her stamped foot and folded arms. I've forgiven him, but even though he helped me create the most amazing thing, our daughter, he is not in my today or tomorrows. I don't know who is, that is for God to help me discern.

I don't know if I'm still in the epilogue of my great love story or if it was all prologue to my life time love, my forever and ever amen love (yep, I'm a Randy Travis fan). God sees the big picture. I feel like I've closed the book on my love. It was good, sweet, thrilling and climaxed in sorrow. Now, I'm ready to see what story God is writing. Is it the story of me as Ruth in singleness, or will I find my Boaz and this is my interim? Right now, only God knows. But if I remain with Naomi or if I find my Boaz, I know one thing for sure. Jehovah, the God of Ruth is my God.

I trust that my Savior, Guide, Best Friend, Judge and Father is also authoring a story in my life that I pray points to Him. I am enjoying every day with my daughter. Being her Mom is such a gift. It is the part of that story that continues with me, even when I've closed the cover and set it on my bookshelf.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Emerging Reader

So Snowflake wanted to read for her cousin who lives 1000ish miles away.  Luckily we live in the 21st century and I am quite adept with my smart phone camera.  ðŸ˜‚ We made a video.  I thought I would share it here too.  Reading is one of my favorite activities, so I just love listening to my Snowflake read.

A Reminder From Snowflake

This morning as I dropped my daughter off at school she walked into her classroom and her face lit up with joy! Her former student teacher was there to sub.  Snowflake loves her regular teacher, but seeing this other gal come back made her day.   I have been pondering her reaction.  This is a hard time of the year for me.  The anniversary of my wedding (marriage lasted for just the blink of an eye), the anniversary of my Grandma's entrance to Heaven and now another loved family member has passed to Heaven and I am still trying to celebrate and enjoy Advent while giving my daughter precious memories.  So many different emotions at war with each other.  Snowflake's joy this morning was a wake-up call. It was a gift for her to have this teacher back for the day.  Snowflake was going to enjoy it.   Do I make the most of the little gifts God sends me each day? Do I fully enjoy them, or do I ignore them and focus on the pain? I need to be more mindful so I am open and am a

Keeping it at His Feet

I love to pray.  I love to just talk to Jesus.  He really is my best friend.  It amazes me that He knows me, knows all my secrets, my failures, my inadequate times, my sins and He loves me. He truely loves me. He doesn't love me less than He did when I was younger and skinnier.  He knows what I need to work on but He won't love me more when I purge some sin struggles.  He loves me completely and fully right now. He pursued me. He was beaten, tortured, mocked and brutally killed for me! My name was on His heart when He obeyed the Father on that terrible day. I can never thank Him enough.  I can't get enough of Him. I just love talking to God, the one I can trust with all my tears, fears, doubts, worries and hopes. I am really good at taking things to Him.  One thing I am working on is leaving it there.  I tend to want to take back my fears, worries and doubts. I want to see the future so I know if He says "yes" to my hopes. My big prayer is to complete ou